Financial Planning Challenge
FPA, Ameriprise Financial and CFP Board are pleased to host the 2016 Financial Planning Challenge.
This distinctive competition is designed exclusively for undergraduate degree programs registered with CFP Board. In this challenge, teams compete to advance through three phases:
- Written Financial Planning Case Study
- Financial Planning Case Study Presentation
- “How Do You Know?” Challenge, a game-show style financial planning knowledge contest
In the first phase of the competition all student teams will be given profiles for two hypothetical clients and must prepare a comprehensive financial plan.
After the first phase is judged and awarded, the top eight teams advanced to the next phases of the competition held in conjunction with the FPA Annual Conference – BE Baltimore 2016, September 14-16, 2016.
All orally presented their case studies to a panel of judges and participated in the “How Do You Know?” Challenge.
The top three winning teams were awarded a monetary scholarship for their school.
Judges were selected by each presenting organization and assessed student teams on demonstrating the CFP Board Financial Plan Development Course requirement.
Congratulations 2016 Financial Planning Challenge Winners!
1st Place Overall
William Paterson University
Matthew Callander, Stephanie Spies, Eric Vartanian
Tao Guo, Ph.D., Academic Advisor
2nd Place Overall
University of Akron
Adrianna Demjanjuk, Joseph Johnson, Benjamin Schwarz
Suzanne Gradisher, JD, MBA, MTax, Academic Advisor
3rd Place Overall
Kansas State University
Lindsay Adams, Nolan Keim, Stephen Phillips
Ann Coulson, Ph.D., CFP®, Academic Advisor
- Teams may consist of up to three undergraduate students. Students may not participate in more than one team.
- All participating students must be enrolled in an undergraduate degree program registered with CFP Board as of the Phase 1 Written Case submission deadline, May 1.
- Students considered graduate students by their school may not participate.
- Each team must be represented by an Academic Advisor.
- Students are prohibited from seeking advice from professionals or from persons not participating in the challenge.
- Limit one team per school.
2016 Competition Timeline
May 16 – Team Registration Deadline
May 16 – Phase 1 Case Submission Deadline
July 15 – Top 8 Student Teams Announced
July 29 – Academic Advisor Conference Call
Sept 12 – Onsite Orientation
Sept 13 – Phase 2: Financial Planning Case Study Oral Presentations
Sept 14 – Phase 3: “How Do You Know?” Challenge
September 14-16 – Students Participate in Annual Conference Networking and Learning Opportunities
1st place team overall: $10,000 scholarship for their school, plus one hour of Career Coaching from Caleb Brown at New Planner Recruiting. In addition, the members of the winning team will receive a full scholarship to the highly acclaimed FPA Residency Program.
2nd place team overall: $5,000 scholarship for their school
3rd place team overall: $1,000 scholarship for their school
New in 2016: Ameriprise Financial is excited to host the top three teams at the 2017 Registered Program Conference. While at the conference, teams will present their case to faculty and firms.
For more detailed information about this year’s competition please click here.